In the re-released version of Red Dead Redemption 1, available on platforms like PS4 and Nintendo Switch, players are introduced to the Game of the Year edition. This edition includes a distinctive feature that has drawn attention – the presence of golden guns within the story mode. While some players enjoy the addition, others find these shiny firearms to be somewhat out of place in the immersive world of the game.
The iconic Red Dead Redemption, renowned for its status as a classic western-themed video game, invites players to step into the shoes of John Marston as he embarks on a quest to track down the remaining members of the Van Der Linde gang. Despite its title, the game is actually a sequel to the events of Red Dead Redemption 2.
For those revisiting the game or experiencing it for the first time on the re-released editions, the initial sight of John Marston wielding glistening golden weapons can be unexpected. While this feature may not align with the game’s narrative atmosphere, players are granted the flexibility to disable or enable these golden guns depending on the version of Red Dead Redemption they are playing.
This re-release has made the game accessible on a wider range of platforms – from the PS4, compatible with the PS5, to the Nintendo Switch. Players who prefer Xbox consoles can still access the Xbox 360 backward compatible version. However, a notable omission is the absence of an official PC release, which might leave PC players wanting.
Players can navigate through the in-game settings menu to address the golden gun situation. Within the settings, specifically in a section related to gameplay or display options, there should be an option to toggle the appearance of the golden guns. By turning this option on or off and saving the changes, players can tailor their experience to their preferences.
For more precise instructions on managing the golden gun feature in the Red Dead Redemption Game of the Year edition, players are encouraged to consult the game’s official documentation or engage with the community forums, where fellow players might share insights and tips.
How to disable Red Dead Redemption 1 Golden Guns?
In Red Dead Redemption, the Golden Guns are available as part of the DLC and offer players the ability to reskin their weapons with a golden appearance. These golden versions of weapons are included as part of the Red Dead Redemption: Game of the Year Edition or the re-release of the game. The original game included the Golden Guns as a separate Golden Guns Weapon Pack. This DLC transforms all weapons, excluding thrown weapons and John Marston’s hunting knife, into golden versions.
As per Rockstar Support, To deactivate the Golden Guns in Red Dead Redemption 1, follow these steps:
- Access Options: While playing Red Dead Redemption 1, pause the game.
- Navigate to Config: From the pause menu, go to the “Options” section and then proceed to the “Config” menu.
- Disable Golden Guns DLC: Inside the “Config” menu, you should find an option to disable the story mode Golden Guns DLC. This will allow you to turn off the golden guns in the game.
- Disable Cattleman Revolver and Repeater Carbine: To deactivate the golden versions of the Cattleman Revolver and Repeater Carbine, follow this input sequence:
- Hold R1 + L1 + left button (D-pad) + Circle button + Triangle button simultaneously for five seconds.
For PlayStation 3:
- Turn Off Golden Guns: Hold R1 + L1 + left button (D-pad) + Circle button + Triangle button for 5 seconds.
- Turn On Golden Guns: Hold R1 + L1 + left button (D-pad) + X button + Square button for 5 seconds.
For Nintendo Switch:
- Disable Cattleman Revolver and Repeater Carbine: While the exact input sequence for the Nintendo Switch hasn’t been officially confirmed, you can try the following equivalent inputs:
- Hold L + R + left button (D-pad) + A button + X button simultaneously for five seconds.
Keep in mind that these input sequences are meant to disable the golden versions of specific guns. If you encounter any issues or uncertainties, referring to official sources like Rockstar Support or community forums can provide further assistance.
- Turn Off Golden Guns: Hold RB + LB + D-pad Left + B + Y for 5 seconds.
- Turn On Golden Guns: Hold RB + LB + D-pad Left + A + X for 5 seconds.
Latest version of Red Dead Redemption or the Golden Guns Weapon Pack
For players who have the newer versions of Red Dead Redemption or the Golden Guns Weapon Pack installed, the process of enabling or disabling the Golden Guns is straightforward:
- Open Start Menu: While playing the game, open the start menu.
- Access Options: Within the start menu, click on “Options.”
- Navigate to Config: From the Options menu, proceed to the “Config” menu.
- Toggle Golden Guns: In the “Config” menu, locate the option related to golden guns. You should be able to toggle this option on or off according to your preference.
Regarding the original pre-order bonus, this bonus awarded players with golden versions of John Marston’s Cattleman Revolver and Repeater Carbine. These golden weapons didn’t provide any additional damage benefits but did grant more fame when used. These weapons were eventually unlocked for all players, even those playing older versions of the game.
It’s important to note that these codes for enabling or disabling golden guns do not impact achievements and must be applied each time the game is reloaded since they are not saved permanently.
About Red Dead Redemption 1
On August 18th, Red Dead Redemption 1 was released for the PS4 and Nintendo Switch platforms. The game comes with a price tag of £39.99. This pricing decision has sparked criticism among certain fans of Rockstar Games. Their primary contention stems from the fact that the game is now 12 years old and the release is essentially a straightforward port.
One of the core points of contention is that the re-released version doesn’t feature any remastered graphics, enhanced animations, or new gameplay elements. The game arrives as the original Game of the Year (GOTY) edition package, including the Undead Nightmare expansion pack, alongside several bonus items:
- Classic Tomahawk
- Explosive Rifle
- Golden Guns
- Savy Merchant outfit
- Expert Hunter outfit
- Hardcore Mode
Fans who have expressed their discontent highlight the absence of notable improvements beyond the inclusion of these existing features. They believe that a game of this age and stature should perhaps offer more substantial updates or enhancements, especially considering its higher price point.
Ultimately, the release has sparked a debate among players and the gaming community at large regarding the value of such re-releases, especially when they lack significant upgrades.
Red Dead Redemption is available to play on PS3, PS4, Switch, and Xbox 360.