As part of the Digital India initiative, the government is making FASTag mandatory from December 1 for all vehicles for cashless collection of toll at all the state and national highways in India. Those who don’t yet know what a FASTag is, let me explain what a FASTag is. It is basically a Radio-frequency Identification (RFID) tag that vehicles owners need to buy and affix on the windscreen of the vehicles in such a manner so that toll plazas can scan and deduct the necessary amount directly from your linked prepaid FASTag account instead of collecting cash. The FASTag system ensures a smooth flow of traffic through the tolls and saves time by preventing long queues.
The new vehicle owners do not need to worry about getting the FASTag because they will be already provided with one at the time of registration. The owner would just need to activate and recharge the FASTag account. However, if you have an old car, you can buy the FASTag from the banks which are authorized by the government’s National Electronic Toll Collection (NETC) program such as Syndicate Bank, Axis Bank, IDFC Bank, HDFC Bank, State Bank of India, ICICI Bank, and Equitas Bank. You can also buy a FASTag from Paytm.
FASTag can be bought offline from the bank by visiting any of the Point of Sale (POS) locations. However, it is easier to apply for it online to avoid long queues and save time. Although the process to do the FASTag application varies a bit from banks to banks, the key things of application remain the same for all of them.
- Visit the Bank’s online FASTag application website (check our direct links at the end of the article) to open the FASTag prepaid account. It is not mandatory to have a relationship with the bank to apply online for a FASTag account.
- Fill up the personal details such as Name, Address, DOB, Mobile Number, Email ID, etc.
- Enter the KYC document details (Driving license, PAN Card, Passport, Voter ID Card, or Aadhar Card).
- Enter Vehicle Registration detail that is the Registration Certificate (RC) number of the vehicle.
- Upload scan copy of all the necessary documents, viz. KYC document, 1 passport size photograph of the vehicle owner, and RC.
After submitting the application, your FASTag account will be created. You can access your FASTag account online or via the FASTag app. You can recharge your FASTag account using Credit Card/ Debit Card/ NEFT/ RTGS or through Net Banking. The maximum amount that can be recharged is ₹1 lakh.
You will get SMS and Email alerts for all your FASTag transactions. Currently, the government is offering a cashback of 2.5% for all National Toll payments done using FASTag in FY 2019-20.
Here are the direct links to the FASTag application website of different service providers –
2. Axis Bank
3. IDFC Bank
4. HDFC Bank
6. ICICI Bank
7. Equitas Bank