Are you still wondering the reasons behind your skin problems? To fight your skin problems effectively, you need to know the actual cause behind them. Unfortunately, many don’t know about their skin type and continue to use the wrong skin care products. To fight all your skin issues, you have to choose the right skin care products according to your skin type.
The most essential product in your skin care routine is a face wash. While selecting a suitable face wash, you should look at multiple factors. The first one on the list should be your skin type. It should help you find the best face wash for you.
Why is face cleansing essential?
Remember the days when you would complain when your mom made you wash your face every day? Well, it turned out that mom was right. Regular skin cleansing is essential to maintain healthy-looking clear skin. The best face wash will help you get rid of many skin concerns and help you get clear rejuvenated skin.
Here are some benefits of regularly cleansing your face:
- The primary purpose of a face wash is to remove all the dirt & impurities from your skin. In addition, it controls the oil production and excess sebum production of your skin.
- Throughout the day, your skin gets covered by bacteria, germs, pollutants, sweat, & old dead skin cells. Daily facial cleansing removes all those impurities to give you clear & fresh skin.
- Regular facial cleansing (along with a good moisturiser) is also an essential factor to help maintain its proper hydration level. In addition, cleansing helps manage the pH level of your skin, enabling sufficient water and product retention.
- Building up excessive dirt on the skin surface can cause blockages of the follicles, trapping sebum, oil, sweat and dead skin cells. The lack of sebum on the skin surface lets bacteria penetrate the follicles, resulting in inflammation and ultimately causing acne. Proper skin cleansing helps clear the pores of debris to prevent dirt build-up, allowing the sebum oil to reach the skin surface to decrease the chances of acne breakouts.
Some other benefits:
- Regular cleansing is essential to make your skin look radiant and healthy.
- Cleansing helps anti-ageing products and other treatments work correctly.
- Cleansing also encourages proper skin hydration and prevents the production of excess oil.
- It makes your skin look youthful and clear.
What to look for in a face wash?
Deciding on the suitable face wash for your skin can be a never-ending guessing game. The right face wash can ensure that your face is like a clean base. It ensures that products and makeup glide on more evenly, brightens your complexion and prevents acne breakouts. But it depends on the variant of face wash you choose & what kind of skin you have.
For oily skin type
Indicators: Large, visible pores and greasy sheen that develops right after you’ve cleansed.
What to look for: A cleanser that contains salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide and glycolic acid is the right choice for oily skin types. Salicylic acid is a beta hydroxy acid that removes excess oil (sebum) from the skin. Benzoyl peroxide is an exfoliating agent that prevents acne breakouts. Glycolic acid prevents clogging the pores that lead to acne breakouts. In addition, it removes all dead skin cells and maintains the hydration & pH level of the skin.
For dry skin type
Indicators: Your skin lacks moisture; it is often itchy, flaky or generally tight.
What to look for: Pick a cleanser that is pH balancing, and that contains ingredients like shea butter, oatmeal that are hydrating and moisturising. Look for face washes made of glycerine and essential oils that can benefit dry skin types. Avoid alcohol, salicylic acid or glycolic acid-based cleansers.
For combination skin types
Indicators: You must have an oily T-zone (your forehead, nose & chin) alongside drier skin on your cheeks.
What to look for: Look for gel foaming face washes and gel-based cleansers. These are not very drying and are not too oily. A cleanser that contains hyaluronic acid, amino acids, green tea, and jojoba oil can be a good choice for combination skin types. These ingredients don’t dry out the skin and maintain the proper moisture and control the skin’s oil production.
Several brands are manufacturing face washes for all skin types and concerns. A few of the most loved brands are Biotique, Plum face wash, Garnier etc. However, you should follow the guidelines mentioned in this article before you make a choice.
Keep the below pointers in mind while applying a face wash:
- Always look for products that suit your skin type.
- Don’t forget to read the labels and ingredient names carefully.
- Always do a patch test before using a new product (on your neck or behind your ear).
- Finally, don’t overuse or over rub your skin—massage to wash your face in a gentle circular motion.
- If you feel face washes made for your skin type are still not working and irritating, then consult a dermatologist.
You may skip toner or a scrub occasionally but skipping a cleanser is a big no in any skin care routine. It is imperative to cleanse your face every day to get clear and healthy-looking skin, even if you are going out. Cleansing helps your skin get rid of excess oils (sebum), makeup, dirt & other pollutants. After cleansing your face correctly, you can move on to your next skin care steps with clear skin.