OnePlus recently revealed its plan to launch the Google Assistant Ambient Mode for models starting from OnePlus 3. The Ambient Mode feature was announced by Google back in September 2019 at the IFA event. The rollout began with selected models of Nokia and Lenovo and of course, Google Pixel smartphones.
Notably, the Ambient Mode feature will not be available under the Oxygen OS update parcel, as the Assistant has been crafted on the lines of Google App and not an Android one. It means that the update will arrive individually in the form of a Google App update or a simple server-side job. OnePlus has also stated that it will still take one week before the feature reaches the smartphones of its customers.
Steps to enable Ambient Mode feature
In case you own a OnePlus handset, which is eligible for the Ambient Mode feature, then you can easily update it by following the steps below:
- The first step is to check whether you have received the Google Assistant Ambient Mode update for your Smartphone or not.
- The device will get a message from the Google Assistant when it is on charging mode
- The Ambient Mode can be set up as per the instructions on the lock screen.
- In case you have not received a notification, you can activate it by launching the Google App in your OnePlus Phone.
- Once you have arrived there, go to More and select Google Assistant under the Settings tab. Now you will land on the Google Assistant Settings.
- In the Google Assistant Settings, click on the Assistant tab and scroll below to reach Assistant devices and select the Phone option from there.
- In other words, when you hit the Google app on your phone, goto More > Settings > Google Assistant > Assistant tab > Phone > Ambient mode.
- There is an option to permit the Photo frame feature and also the option to pick the album from Google Photos library
- Smartphones with Android 8 and above are entitled to Ambient Mode update
- The devices which will get the update in a phased manner are
- OnePlus 3, OnePlus 3T
- OnePlus 5, OnePlus 5T
- OnePlus 6, OnePlus 6T
- OnePlus 7, OnePlus 7 Pro
- OnePlus 7T, OnePlus 7T Pro
- The Mode gets activated by itself when the device is put on charge
The downside of the Ambient mode is its limited ease of use. Restricted to usage only when the device is getting charged, the usability of features gets restricted. As of now, the common opinion is that its utility can be gauged when the phones support wireless charging.